November 9, 2009

My So-Called Public Life

Yes, I know, this hasn't been the best year for my pitiful internet presence. I just didn't feel like writing about anything. And then I felt guilty about that. How lame is that? It's not that I have a cult-following here. Haha.

I've also been wondering what this general obsession with making your thoughts and opinions publicly accessible is all about. I mean, I love the opinion page in the newspapers. I enjoy a good public sparring of politicians and public figures. I get a few good giggles from watching Stewart or Colbert. I even like to get riled up by the insanity of FOX News at times.
I guess I'm perfectly fine with opinions in principle (and the internet has made the playing field so much more colorful), it's more the inane status updates, public diaries, and useless trivia that make me wonder.
A few recent newsarticles and TV shows have put this on my mind again...

Yesterday I watched a meta-media magazine on German television. They lamented the decline of quality journalism. Their prime targets were the privately owned TV stations here, where most stories recquire little to no research and are mass-produced to appeal to viewers with five-second attention spans (or so it seems). Interesting example: Flu/Flu shots. Instead of citing facts or asking doctors/researchers, the female "journalist" got the flu shot herself and then reported the next day about slight pain in her arm. OK. WTF is that? Any random person off the street can do the same kind of 'me me me'-reporting.
Frustrating.

A psychotherapist gave an interview about "public relationships". She cited two German celebrities (Boris Becker was one) as examples for people who demonstratively flaunt their love lives (usually rapidly changing partners) in public. The researcher claimed that these personalities have some kind of narcisistic disorder. Well, at least those guys get paid for disclosing private details, ey?

Which brings me to the strange facebook/twitter-phenomenon.
Disclaimer: Yes, I also have a FB account and it is somewhat useful. I like seeing pictures of my friends and sending short messages instead of lengthy emails (which I tend to send very, very infrequently anyway - another source of guilt...).
Nevertheless, I have a hard time understanding why so many people need to update the world at large about the state of their little lives. Who cares about your latest meal, shopping trip, bowel movement? - Yea, OK, maybe somebody does, and I should just ignore the mundane updates and unclench. Probably true. And most days I don't care or mind anyway.
On other days I worry though, because I think there is one side of this "virtual community" and connection with friends, internet buddies and the world: It can trick you into thinking you have a social life.
Sure, you haven't left the house all weekend and you're still in your pajamas, but you've been talking to your friends online all day! Yea, not the same thing as meeting people in person, sharing a meal, playing sports together, taking a walk. A few years ago I was fundamentally lonely, but didn't have to admit it to myself, because I had my buddies on the web.

Don't get me wrong, I love the internet. Talking to people online, looking up random articles and facts, reveling in the unbelievable vastness of this crazy electronic web.
Yet, I don't want to forget the real world: Giving an update to the person sitting across from me at the dinner table. Telling my friends in person that I "like" something they have accomplished. Taking inventory of my unplugged life every once in a while. Checking what my status really is.

7 comments:

The Jogger said...

Did you watch the TV series or movie that this thread's title is based on?

Paul Davis said...

Intriguing blog. I keep a blog here because I like to jot down my thoughts, random and otherwise. I also keep a paper journal.

I deleted my FB account recently. Too many family members were questioning my statuses. LOL

Anonymous said...

POLO L-Sleeved Shirt For Men on when the flowered shirt certainly must avoid raising the quantity the POLO Shirts For Men., before others will think that you will be a southern coastal provinces guest, now has the possibility to think that this will be the young nouveau riche who will set up a stall does business. Certainly, looked at these many rules, you internal outside, high and low clothing's matching has not grasped as before, that tightens records one: Regardless of the white shirts matches anything to be appropriate long sleeve for women.
A white shirts cannot change the black magic, but with the different color POLO Sweaters For Men supplement, will have the rich change. The white shirts may treat as the uniform, puts on appears has the masculinity very much, both heroic and sex appeal. The white shirts may also be a dance suit, even may treat as the coat to put on, how to put on is decided completely by yours individual personal status and the style polo shirt.
The white shirts adds the black tie, ash trousers in this case then may apply. Such three put on the law, one kind of very free office worker felt for the Polo for women polo, does not need to trade the color daily, simple has the personal status, is office worker's best matching POLO T-Shirts For Men.

terminal blocks said...

i like ur blog....

Quiet_Radiance said...

Nicely written :) i'd say we all need to release from our internet existance and go out into the real world, but only every once in a while :P

I'm keeping my blog to write about my life, in abstract mostly, and whatever is on my mind at the point of writing, whether it be feelings or thoughts or something else entirely.

FIFA 15 Coins said...

Possessed nine periods champion actual Madrid fourteenth among the game titles, into the awesome cup and 6 times during the atletico Madrid in 1985 by itself. The virtually half a dozen Spanish very mug champ may be the league. C - cristiano ronaldo and bear the two begin, new putting your signature on cross, mace - rodriguez into counter.
FIFA 15 Coins PS3
FIFA 15 Coins Xbox 360


-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Puh-leeze. You're utterly gorgeous.
Why?
God made only ONE of you...
and threw-away the rest.

High, girl!
While I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
you shall find in our 23 blogs a lottagobba (subliminal) moxie
which has taken this mortal sinner yeeers to compile:
I lay it ALL out for you, dear - neet, packaged, concise.

Nevertheless, wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible, vigilant cranium?
An XtraXcitinXpose with no
zooillogical-expiration-date,
with an IQ much higher than K2,
and an extraordinarily, sawcy, rowdy victory??
Here’s what the prolific GODy sed:

“Faith, hope, and love,
the greatest of these is love -
jumpy into faith...
and you'll see with love”
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
(what I write);
God believes in you.
God. Blessa. Youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
Meet me Upstairs, girly, where the Son never goes down
(nonillions
x
nonillions
x
nonillions
of opportunities for excitement BTW)…